Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Anne the Cat... Catwoman Returns As Hathaway!

(Actress Anne Hathaway, known for her good girl roles, will play the villainous, sexy Catwoman in 2012's upcoming The Dark Knight Rises.)




I'm still in disbelief that Anne Hathaway has won the role of Catwoman in the latest Batman movie set to release in 2012:


I'm still upset.

I was rooting on Angelina Jolie, even though she wasn't even an official contender to play the notoriously sexy Catwoman. 

Actually I'm still hoping Hathaway's name is a major misprint and Jolie's name will soon be announced soon to play Catwoman!

Vanilla looking Anne Hathaway is one of the last actresses I can imagine as feisty Catwoman. She reeks niceness too much--- something Catwoman lacks a lot of.

Hathaway's film career is built around her playing sunny, funny, klutzy nice girl roles--- starting from her breakout role in 2001 as a princess in The Princess Diaries.

So far, she's only taken on three risky roles--- none which were so believable:
-a promiscuous, swearing, female "wigger" in 2005's Havoc
-an ex-addict in 2008's Rachel Getting Married
-a phone sex operator in 2010's Valentine's Day

I want to say that perhaps Hathaway will shock me and everyone else who thinks she doesn't have the ferociousness and sexiness in her to play Catwoman, and end up being a great Catwoman...

But I just don't see that happening.

I cringe imagining her wearing tight leather or latex and crawling about. The thought seems faux and un-sexy. 

Even when Hathaway tries to be sexy, it looks forced:


There are rumors however, that Catwoman in Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight Rises will focus on more of her origin:

So Hathaway probably will be donning just a mask, not full Catwoman gear (tight costume and whip)--- which I hope. Hathaway holding a whip just screams awkward!

If the rumor is true, it makes a little more sense why young Hathaway was cast as Selina Kyle (aka Catwoman).

Still, no other young, talented, tougher looking actress was available?

 I was super excited months ago when I first heard Catwoman may resurface in Nolan's newest Batman film, but knowing Hathaway is playing her doesn't excite me one bit.

I'm just excited to see his take on Selina Kyle's origin (which hopefully will faithfully follow the comic book one of her starting off as a thief as a teenager.)

Hopefully Hathaway can manage to play Catwoman with some justice.

However, I already know there is no way she can out top Michelle Pheiffer's 1992 purrfect portrayal Catwoman, or the three other great Catwomen before her--- Julie Newar, Lee Meriwether and Eartha Kitt.

Perhaps she can do better than Halle Berry's 2004 just okay portrayal of the sexy cat.

In the meantime, I'm still hoping Jolie:


will somehow replace Hathaway!


 ***

 Cinemanista's Catwoman Contenders:

















5 comments:

  1. after lookin at the picz & how itz her origin, she might make a good role afterall, remember heath ledger was known 4 calm rolez 2 & he was good as joker

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like how u added the poll on the right side!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Harvey, thanks!
    Yeah, if her story in DKR tells her origin, esp. her comic book origin of her starting off as a teen thief, then it does make sense a younger actress was cast for Catwoman. Still, Hathaway?!?
    I can't wait until the trailer is released so we get a glimpse of how she's gonna look and act.
    Heath Ledger as Joker was a surprise--- I didn't think he'd pull Joker off but then he did.
    I'm still doubting Hathaway's ability to pull of CW, compared to all the other good actresses who played her so well (well, besides Berry!).
    I want to see film stills and a trailer of Dark Knight Rises stat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. she does have the body 4 catwoman though

    ReplyDelete
  5. She has the long legs--- that's about it in my eyes...

    ReplyDelete